What is the difference between SAP and SBEM?

[vc_row uxb_theme_class=””][vc_column uxb_theme_class=””][vc_column_text]Each new building with a heating system needs to be tested against current government emission targets to check energy efficiency.

If you build houses or apartment blocks, every house requires a SAP calculation, ideally before onsite construction starts.

Any building that is not a house requires an SBEM calculation. Both SAP and SBEM base themselves on the same fundamental principles, but SAP designs itself to reflect our homes’ carbon emissions more accurately.

SBEM designs itself to reflect CO2 from any other building type, from offices to hotels, from warehouses to sports halls.

There is a grey area for student lodging and nursing homes. If the apartments are in general self-contained (i.e. each has its bedroom, kitchen and bathroom), then individual SAP calculations are required.

SBEM calculates any common areas such as corridors, shared lounges and staff rooms.

SBEM defines guesthouses and residences as commercial properties in either category, even if the building’s purpose is a house. In such cases, we would refer to the local building control to see if they have any preference.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]